Monday, March 12, 2012

DIY Fenders


So here is a little tidbit for all of you watching the Downtube Nova review:
I made myself a rear fender because a set of plastic fenders from my LBS would set me back $44 and that is just silly.  So for $6.99 worth of aluminium flat stock and $6.99 for a spool of 14guage steel wire and about 2 hours total time and labor including design and procurement of the materials, I now have a spiffy new rear fender.

They turned out to be very useful because it's been raining all weekend and I biked from my house in the rain today.

I think they turned out pretty nice.
I'm planning on adding an etched design on the fender.  Leaves, flames, dots, something pretty.

The little Nova already attracts stares, but I already had someone compliment me on them today.  Pimp my ride-understated edition!

I made an instructables:
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Bike-Fenders/?ALLSTEPS

Anyway, what you really want to see, pictures:




1 comment:

  1. Absolutely FANTASTIC DIY fenders, I will be shortly replicating it for my fancier electric Nova in place of the polycarb junk I use now. One question, have you had experience with your Downtube's Bottom Bracket - I have a 2012.5 and am trying to replace the entire bottom bracket but it's not traditional cup, nor is removal obvious - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and again, great work on the fenders ! - Mike

    ReplyDelete